Assistant Professor in Cultural Heritage Research Group
Jerzy Haber Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences opens call for 33-months long position of Assistant Professor in Cultural Heritage Research Group
The Assistant Professor reporting to the head of the CHR group will work on development of a comprehensive mechanical model of historical, aged paint layers - innovative at the global scale. The paint layer is a complex assembly of strata of humidity-sensitive materials which have - over centuries - aged, cracked and delaminated. Cracks join up into the network – the craquelure pattern (CP) - which is a distinctive characteristic of materials and physical structure of the artwork, an outcome of the construction and painting techniques employed by the workshop and the artist.
The Assistant Professor will be responsible for:
- building a database of material properties, including fracture toughness, for historical materials used in paint layers;
- developing a comprehensive 3D mechanical model of historical paint layers, especially in canvas paintings, which would allow for better understanding of mechanisms and processes involved in CP formation based on finite element modelling using COMSOL Multiphysics software for analysis of strain/stress fields;
- determining vulnerability of historical paint layers with developed CPs to relative humidity variations, also after conservation treatments;
- application for new projects.
- adiunkt__1_BDK_29052019_EN_02.pdf424 K